Monday, June 1, 2009

Weekend Updates

A full night's rest for ALL of us - finally!

Last Wednesday, Jacob came down with a fever of around 102.6. He kept saying his mouth hurt and he was crying all day long. Then he didn't sleep that night. So on Thursday morning when he was still weepy and saying how his mouth hurt and wouldn't eat or drink anything, I took him to the doctor.

The doctor informed me he had caught Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease and she said he got infected pretty bad. This sounds worse than it actually is. We hear the word "disease" and we freak out - it's really just a viral cold that causes blisters on the hands, feet, and bottom, and ulcers in the mouth. Poor little man's entire mouth was covered with these horrible things so he wouldn't eat anything, literally, until Friday night. We got him to eat jarred baby food. He wouldn't even eat Popsicles.

So he didn't sleep again on Thursday night, and by this time I was exhausted. I worked approximately 30 hours last week making baskets and doing the deliveries, taking care of our sick boy, and then not getting any sleep over Wednesday and Thursday nights. I was in a very bad place! My sweet, sweet husband told me on both Friday and Saturday night to go sleep in our bed and he would sleep on the couch with the monitor. I slept wonderfully BOTH nights, but unfortunately Derek did not because Jacob didn't. His mouth still hurt him so bad.

However, by yesterday morning, everything seemed to be much better. He was eating all day long and drinking again, and he didn't wake up ONCE last night. All 3 of us slept great - in fact the little guy is still sleeping! Thank you, Lord!

On another note, though, I have been so overcome with fear this weekend. Because of the exhaustion, I have been so worried about this new baby that is growing inside me. I am supposed to be resting, not having a raised heartbeat, drinking tons of water, not lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk, and so on. I have not listened to ANY of these instructions lately, and I have felt so worried. On Saturday I kept feeling like I was having Braxton-Hicks contractions. I don't think this is possible at 12-1/2 weeks, but from around 4:00 until 11:30 my abdomen kept tightening up every 2 minutes or so - you could literally see this happening. I called the emergency line for my doctor, but she told me it was probably just a bodily reaction from me being nauseaus and throwing up every day. She wasn't worried about it because I wasn't bleeding. This didn't do much to relieve my anxiety and fear, though.

I haven't had any issues since Saturday night, but I still just pray, pray, pray that everything is okay with this little one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel like fear is something that I have never really strugled with until pregnancy!! Its easy to hand it over though when we know God is sovereign and loves us and our baby more than anything. I will be praying for you :) I wish my tummy would grow - people don't believe me when I saw I am 11 weeks pregnant!